Canadian Entrepreneur with Global Invest, on a mission to help people invest in real estate to create generational wealth.
The best time to start entrepreneurship and investment is when you are still young because the longer your financial investments will be operating, the more substantially your savings account will grow. I receive many queries from young people who want to set up an entrepreneurial project and invest in real estate. I strongly encourage them to do so. Despite your young age, you can learn how to save and invest your money to yield additional income. Here’s how.
You might be wondering right now how to save money without a salary or with minimal income. It is possible! Here are two smart ways to build up a savings account and generate returns.
1. Tap into your own pocket money: If you are still a student or under the care of your parents, you may receive a monthly allowance from your parents or student financial aid. If this is the case, I advise you to start saving based on your available cash, at least $100 per month, in an individual savings account. The IRA is suitable for you at this point as it is tax-free.
2. Look for a student job: To save sufficiently for your investment project, search for a part-time job that will provide additional income you can direct toward savings. You will want to build up considerable savings as a first step in order to achieve a return on your future investment.
Build Your Business Online
In order to start a business and invest at a young age, you must recognize that the internet has created a global village where everything can happen with just a click. Indeed, the web is full of opportunities that should not be neglected.
1. Build your own website: As a student or young professional, building up a substantial savings account can be quite difficult. One strategy I recommend is creating a website where you can offer your services. The internet is a massive customer niche where possibilities abound, from e-commerce to offering consulting services to writing sponsored blog content and more.
2. Brand yourself on social networks: Social networks have significantly reshaped the business world. It is difficult to succeed without creating a recognizable brand across social networks, especially if you want to start a business and investing career at a young age. In this respect, I advise creating Facebook accounts, Twitter accounts and even a YouTube channel. These accounts can significantly help you boost your eventual rate of return.
Invest In Real Estate
Once you have saved enough money through your business and savings plans, make your money work for you. Investing in rental property is one of the best ways to diversify your monthly income.
1. Invest with REITs: A real estate investment trust, or REIT, is a great stepping stone to entrepreneurship and investment for young people. Also sometimes referred to as real estate paper, this type of investment offers excellent possibilities in terms of rental management, especially if you are a student and school takes up most of your time. The REIT you invest with will handle all the leasing, renovation work, rent deductions, etc., and interest rates generally vary between 5% and 9% depending on the type of REIT chosen.
2. Explore real estate crowdfunding: Crowdfunding is another interesting approach for young people who lack the required funds to obtain a mortgage and represents a supportive financing method for real estate projects. It plays the same role as a banking institution as it provides money to start your real estate project. The annual rate of return on this type of funding ranges from 8% to 10% depending on the size of the investment.
3. Purchase a parking space: It is wise to start out small and work your way up. For example, you can start by buying a simple property such as a parking space, something that may be much more attainable for young entrepreneurs. By starting on a small scale and planning for the short term, you can minimize your risk.
Improve Your Skills Through Training
In order to achieve long-term investing success, you need to be an expert in your field. For example, if you intend to invest in rental property, I recommend taking a property investment course in order to build a good investor profile. You need to know how to invest in order to make the most profitable investments. Constant training provides a number of advantages, including:
• Staying competitive.
• Increasing your profitability.
• Acquiring new knowledge.
• Keeping up to date on industry trends.
• Increasing your credibility and building customer loyalty.
As I like to say: In rental investing, what you don’t know can cost you a lot in terms of money, opportunities and strategy. So, it’s important to keep training. Indeed, investing in real estate at a young age and improving your skills over time is an excellent strategy for those who aim to become rich faster, take an early retirement and live on generous retirement savings generated by your real estate investments.
The information provided here is not investment, tax, or financial advice. You should consult with a licensed professional for advice concerning your specific situation.
Forbes Real Estate Council is an invitation-only community for executives in the real estate industry. Do I qualify?